Happy holidays Green Class! It has been a long half term and there are some very tired children today who all deserve a good rest. We’ve had an excellent half term in Green Class which ended in some excellent story writing of the story of Rama and Sita, printing pictures from the internet to go with our stories and printing some diva lamps by making our own printing tiles.
It is really important that children have lots of rest and play but we have a few challenges for you over the break:
- Keep reading! Read anything from menus to recipes from signs to your reading books. It is really important to keep practising and reading for a variety of purposes.
- It is World Book Day on Thursday 1st March and it’s a day to celebrate our love of reading. Over the holidays we would like you to create a picture of your favourite scene from your favourite book. You can use any art skill you like such as collage or painting. It could be the Madhatter’s tea party from Mrs Moss’ favourite book ‘Alice in Wonderland’ or it could be the part where the Gingerbread Man jumps out of the oven and runs away shouting. In my house we love the book ‘Jack and the FlumFlum Tree’. You can bring this and your favourite book to school on that day. Also our reading area is looking very bare. We would like you to take a ‘shelfie’ (photo) of you and your bookshelf so we can see the books children in our class enjoy as it might give others ideas of what they might like to read.
- Our new topic is all about far away lands and we will be looking at where animals live as we will be reading ‘The Great Pet Sale’ by Mick Inkpen. The story will help us with our maths work on money, we will learn how and when banking was invented and find out exactly where skinks, salamanders and komodo dragons from the story live. If you want to do any research about unusual animals that would be great and you can share this on the first day back.
- Keep practising mental maths facts which are listed on homework sheets- number bonds to 10 and 20, counting on and back in 2,5 and 10s, double and halves to halve of 20 and double 10.
- This is the most important one, have a really great holiday. We are really proud of how hard the children have worked and look forward to sharing their progress at Parent Consultations which are in March.
Love Mrs James and Team Green x